Mind, Body and soul are like a musical ensemble. Each must be finely tuned, well-nourished, diligently practiced, and lovingly maintained in order to reach full potential.
- RJ Starr
Being of sound mind, body and spirit is extremely important at any age and it is something each of us should aspire to.
There is no doubt that if we aim to live a peaceful and perfectly balanced existence, there are certain natural rules we'd better follow earnestly, otherwise our physical, mental and spiritual condition might suffer tremendously.
It is no secret that how we nourish ourselves, behave and think has a direct impact on the way we feel. So never forget that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!
The root of all health is in the brain. The trunk of it is in emotion. The branches and leaves are the body. The flower of health blooms when all parts work together.
- Kurdish Saying
Eat mindfully and wholesomely (according to your needs and constitution):
- Sit down to dine, savor your meals and chew slowly. It's not a competition or a race, so take your time!
- Have as many meatless and low-carb meals as possible. Your cholesterol level will thank you for being reasonable.
- Serve vegetables at every meal and fill at least half of your plate with them.
- Keep your fruit consumption to three per day. Loading your diet with fruits isn’t recommended as this can impact your health (excess fructose can cause high blood sugar & will get transformed into fat).
- Integrate sufficient good proteins into your diet (seeds, eggs, all natural dairy products, poultry, fish, tofu, seitan, lentils, navy beans, quinoa, peanut butter, etc...).
- Regularly cook (a few times a week) with legumes and grains (chickpeas, buckwheat, barley, farrò, black beans, bulgur, couscous, etc...).
- Eat a handful of nuts (soaked and roasted, if possible / here's why) and dried fruits on a daily basis.
- Flavor your dishes with lots of spices and herbs as well as condiments (vinegar, mustard, hot sauce, curcuma, cilantro, cinnamon, ginger, holy basil, etc...). They are real health bombs!
- Use nutritious oils and fats in moderate quantities (that also includes animal fats).
- Drink lots of plain water (the amount varies from one person to another, depending on one's lifestyle and body's demand, but you should not ingest more than 2 litres a day or you might cause the level of salt, or sodium, in your blood to drop too low - check out this link for additional info) and reasonable amounts of green tea or coffee (2-3 cups / 2-3 cup daily, depending on the individual).
- Cut down on sugars and white flour/floury foods, and find alternatives (sugar: honey, coconut flower sugar, maple syrup, xylitol, etc... / flour: whole wheat flour, brown rice flour, coconut flour, rye flour, spelt flour, etc...).
- Steer clear of additives, MSG, glucose, trans fats, GMO's and processed food.
- And last but not least, respect our planet/Mother Earth, along with the animals and plants that populate it: go green, support local organic farmers, defend small-scale agriculture, follow seasons, and if you are not vegetarian, please eat humanely raised meat only and in small quantities. Without them we are nothing, so don't be greedy and ungrateful...
The food you eat can be either the safest and most powerful form of medicine or the slowest form of poison.
- Ann Wigmore
Your body is a temple. Keep it pure and clean for the soul to reside in it.
- B.K.S. Iyengar
He who takes medicine and neglects to diet wastes the skill of his doctors.
- Chinese Proverb
A manifesto for A simple life:
Eat less, move more
Buy less, make more
Stress less, laugh more
Feel blessed, love more
Find a quiet spot every day and
- Kelly Exeter
- Exercise often (daily, if possible). Physical activity strengthens your heart, regulates your weight and elevates your mood.
- Sleep enough. Apart from reducing the black circles under your eyes and helping you feel merrier, sleep has the same effects as sports on your overall health.
- Get some fresh air and bond with nature. There is nothing better for clearing your mind and uplifting your spirits.
- Relax more and ban stress. Nothing is more harmful than being constantly tense and anxious.
- Seek harmony and peace of mind, think positively, cast aside the past and focus on the present, be optimistic and surround yourself with non-toxic people.
- Find inspiration in others, be passionate and creative.
- Express your emotions (don't swallow your feelings), but remember that an excess of any type of emotion will affect your yin & yang energies (learn more on the subject, here). Balance is the key word.
- Be one with the Universe. Recognise its power, sacredness and mystery.
- Stop trying to be someone else and learn to love yourself by accepting who you are and acknowledging your uniqueness. You are exactly who and where you are meant to be.
- Enjoy life & don't take it all too seriously. And as Chief Mac in The Red Road said, "this world isn't real, it's a shadow of the real one"...
- Fake it till you make it! And if you don't succeed, continue winging it and improvising. You'll get there at some point.